I had planned on doing a lot of cooking and posting this week but it just hasn't happened. Truth be told, I've been feeling a bit burnt out and more like hanging with the kids than working.
Yesterday while Skye napped I'd planned on putting together my latest ebook (that has been written and edited since Christmas) to get it ready to launch.
Instead the boys and I spent the afternoon at Dave & Busters. Yes, it's true. I don't do video games at home, but have a soft spot for spending the afternoon playing Pac Man and racing games.
Today it's raining so I am playing hookey again and taking them to the movies.
No regrets - this is the best part of being a work at home homeschooling mom and one I've realized that I don't enjoy often enough.
In the mean time, I've got a great easy breakfast recipe for you.
Back next week (hopefully)!
Apple Pecan Quinoa Breakfast
- 4 apples divided
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 1 ¼ cup almond milk or milk of choice
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 3 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- Optional: Maple syrup for drizzling
- Using a box grater or food processor, shred two apples.
- Bring quinoa and milk to a simmer in a medium saucepan, stirring often. Stir in grated apples, applesauce, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Return to a simmer. Cover and cook on low for 25 minutes.
- Chop remaining 2 apples. Stir in chopped apples and vanilla and re-cover. Cook for 5 to 10 more minutes. Remove from heat and let sit covered for 5 more minutes.
- Divide among four serving bowls and top each with a tablespoon of pecans. If desired, drizzle with maple syrup. Serve warm. May be made ahead and reheated prior to serving.
You had a wonderful recipe on your old site that was similar to this but also contained oats. I can't seem to find it. Would you please share that with me? It was apples, quinoa, oats, milk, cinnamon, maple syrup topped with pecans? I used to make it so often that I had the recipe memorized, but I haven't made it in a while and need my memory refreshed. I was hoping to make it for breakfast Christmas morning.
Thank you. Have a wonderful holiday season!
This is such a healthy breakfast idea.