This Pesto Chicken Wrap is an easy recipe that you will find yourself turning to again and again. Here, I pair avocado with traditional pesto ingredients to make a rich, creamy, and nutrition-packed wrap. I used lettuce in place of a tortilla, but feel free to serve it up any way you like. It is perfect for lunch or a light dinner!
This post was originally posted May 18, 2017
Pesto Chicken Wraps are Irresistible!
When you think of pesto, chances are you think of pasta.
But pesto is great with SO much more than that! I love it on pizza, with chicken or beef, and even on eggs. Perhaps one of my favorite simple ways to use pesto is with this Pesto Chicken Wrap.
With healthy fats and and fresh flavors, this is one that I've made countless times.
Plus it is super-easy. Make Instant Pot Shredded Chicken or Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken during your weekend meal prep, and you can throw this recipe together in just 15 minutes.
(I get giddy over simple recipes that are still flavor-packed!)
How to Make Pesto Chicken Wraps
- Make the pesto by combining basil, Parmesan, pine nuts, avocado, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt, and cayenne pepper in a blender.
- Process until smooth.
- Place shredded chicken and green onions in a large bowl and toss with pesto.
- Spread pesto chicken salad on either a gluten-free tortilla or Bibb lettuce leaves.
- Tops with chopped tomato, green onions, and pine nuts.
- Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can this recipe be made ahead of time?
You can make this recipe up to two days ahead of time. Store it in a sealed container in the refrigerator. I don't recommend storing it any longer. Because of the avocado it will turn brown. (The lemon juice helps it to hold for a little while.)
Is avocado healthy?
Half of an avocado has almost 15 grams of fat, which can sound scary. It is important to note that it is predominately monounsaturated fats, which have been found to decrease cholesterol. It is rich in potassium, folate, lutein, and zeaxanthin. Avocado is also a great source of fiber!
Variations for This Recipe:
- You can use toasted pecans or walnuts in place of the pine nuts.
- Use diced red onion in place of green onion.
- Substitute red wine vinegar for the lemon juice.
- You can use mayonnaise in place of the olive oil.
- Add in ½ cup sun dried tomatoes
If You Like these Avocado Pesto Chicken Salad Wraps You May Also Like:
- Bacon Guacamole
- Skinny Chicken, Spinach & Sun Dried Tomato Casserole
- Quinoa with Pine Nuts and Red Pepper
- Mexican Quinoa Wraps
Pesto Chicken Wrap Recipe
The casual vibe of this Pesto Chicken Wrap makes it perfect for an easy summer meal. The combination of avocado and pesto is irresistible. This recipe is a tried and true weeknight staple.
Pesto Chicken Wrap
- 1 cup fresh basil loosely packed
- 2 ounces fresh Parmesan grated
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 avocado pitted, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound organic boneless skinless chicken breast cooked and shredded
- 4 green onions chopped
- For wraps
- Bibb lettuce leaves
- Tomato Chopped green onion, pine nuts, fresh lemon juice
- Place basil, Parmesan, pine nuts, avocado, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper in a blender and process until smooth.
- Place chicken and green onions in a large bowl and toss with pesto.
- To make wraps, place lettuce leaves on a plate and top with chicken salad. Add tomato, more green onion, and pine nuts. Finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and serve.