When you are craving light and fluffy burger buns, let your bread machine do all the heavy lifting! These homemade Bread Machine Hamburger Buns are surprisingly easy to make and are perfect for your next grill out. Make them once, and you may never buy hamburger buns again.
It's summertime, and that means cookouts!
If you're looking for a delicious and easy way to make burger buns, look no further than your bread machine.
With simple ingredients and a cycle in your bread machine, you'll have the dough to make fresh, fluffy hamburger buns that are perfect for your next cookout. (These are the best hamburger buns!)
So put on your apron and make this hamburger bun recipe today.
Ingredients for Making This Hamburger Bun Recipe in the Bread Machine
- Milk: I recommend using whole milk.
- Water: Ensure your water isn’t more than 110° F, which can kill the yeast.
- Egg: I recommend using large eggs. You can reserve the white not used in the dough for brushing the tops if you like.
- Salt: Make sure you are using fine salt.
- Bread Flour: Use bread flour rather than cake flour or all-purpose flour.
- Sugar: I have only tested this with white sugar, but you should be able to use your favorite sweetener.
- Yeast: Use bread machine or rapid-rise yeast. (These are not the same as active dry yeast.)
- Topping: I used sesame seeds, but dehydrated onion or poppy seeds would also work.
Tips & Tricks
- The best way to shape dough into a tight ball is to stretch and fold the sides over into the center of the dough.
- If you are using a mesh bun pan (see process photos), you do not need to spray.
- Don’t skip the extra flour for shaping the buns - it is necessary, or the dough will be sticky to handle. I recommend turning the dough out onto a floured surface.
- A pizza cutter or sharp knife works great for dividing the dough.
- No bread machine? You can make the dough in a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook and let the dough rise in a warm place for 90 minutes.
These Zojirushi bread machine hamburger buns are great with almost any sandwich. Try them with Blackstone Smash Burgers, Air Fryer Burgers, Italian Burgers, or Healthy Beef Burgers.
You can even shape the bread long instead of round and use the dough for buns to make Blackstone Philly Cheesesteaks.
Tools Needed to Make Homemade Hamburger Buns
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Bread Machine (I used a Zojirushi bread machine.)
- Kitchen Scale (optional)
- Bun Pan (optional) or Cookie Sheet
- Pastry Mat
- Silicone Brush
Leftover burger buns can be stored at room temperature for up to three days.
They can be frozen for up to three months. To freeze, place the sandwich buns on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Allow to freeze solid, and then transfer the hamburger rolls to a freezer bag or other freezer-safe container.
How to Make Bread Machine Hamburger Bun Dough Recipe
Making the Dough for Homemade Hamburger Buns in the Bread Machine
First, start this burger bun recipe by placing the milk, water, eggs, butter, salt, bread flour, sugar, and instant yeast in your bread machine. Make sure to put them in the machine in the order they are listed on the recipe card!
Select your dough cycle and press start.
While the bread machine is doing its thing (it will take a little less than 2 hours for most machines), prep your pan. You can use either line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray a bun pan.
If you are using a mesh bun pan, you don’t have to spray it.
Shaping The Buns
Once the cycle is done, transfer the homemade burger buns dough to a clean working surface that has been sprinkled with flour.
Divide the dough into eight pieces. (Divided the dough into 16 pieces if you want slider buns.)
Shape each piece of the dough into a tight ball, and then roll the ball into circles.
Arrange on your sheet pan or bun pan.
Brush with the egg wash, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until golden brown.
Bake for about 17 minutes, until golden brown.
Let cool slightly in the pan and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
More Bread Recipes to Try
- Warm, cozy, and fragrant, this gluten free cranberry bread is perfect for the holidays! With a delicious combination of sweet and tart flavors, it's bound to become a family favorite.
- If you're looking for a delicious and healthy gluten-free bread recipe, look no further than this apple bread. Loaded with apples, cinnamon, and raisins, it's perfect for a quick breakfast or snack.
- This rosemary focaccia is a great beginner's bread recipe. It's easy to make and doesn't require any fancy equipment. Plus, the added flavor of rosemary makes this bread irresistible. Give it a try!
- I've been experimenting with different gluten-free bread recipes, and this quinoa version is my favorite so far. The quinoa gives the bread a nutty flavor and a slightly chewy texture that I love. Plus, it's packed with protein and fiber, which makes it a healthy option for breakfast or snack time. If you're looking for a delicious and nutritious bread alternative, give this quinoa bread a try!
Bread Machine Hamburger Buns
- Bread Machine
- ¾ cup whole milk 185 ml
- ½ cup water 135 ml
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 egg yolk beaten
- 2 ½ tablespoons butter softened (35 g)
- 1 ½ teaspoons fine sea salt 9g
- 3 ½ cups bread flour 525 g, plus 2 tablespoons more for shaping
- 2 tablespoons sugar 26 g
- 2 ½ teaspoons bread machine yeast 9g
- 1 egg or reserved egg white, beaten.
- Sesame seeds optional
- Place the milk, water, eggs, butter, salt, bread flour, sugar, and yeast in the bread machine pan in the order they are listed.
- Select the dough cycle and hit start.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray a bun pan.
- When the cycle is complete, divide the dough into 8 even pieces on a work surface sprinkled with 2 tablespoons of flour. Add more flour as needed.
- Shape each piece into a tight ball and roll the dough into circles.
- Arrange on the prepared baking sheet at least 1 inch apart.
- Brush with the egg, and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
- Let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 ° F while the buns are resting.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool slightly in the pan, and then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- If desired, split and toast before using.
Perfect. These homemade burger buns really kicked things up a notch!
These look so easy to make!
Nothing beats homemade bread. These buns are absolutely delicious! So soft and flavorful.
Great recipe, we loved having homemade buns for our burgers
I am new to bread making. I have been experimenting making buns. These are the absolute best one I have made. So soft on the inside and the outside holds the meat. Made BBQ Pork Buns with cole-slaw tonight and will be making burgers tomorrow. Thanks so much!