This Cheesy Mexican Steak Salad with Chipotle Lime Dressing is so easy to make and packed with flavor. The perfect Mexican Salad for a light dinner.
When I was in college, we would go to this Mexican restaurant where I would almost always order a salad.
Since I love all kinds of Mexican food, sticking with the same dish was unusual for me.
I fell in love with the way they tossed the salad, added steak or chicken to the top and then added another sprinkling of a blend of cheeses. The cheese would always melt ever so slightly and create the most creamy salad that always seemed so decadent.
Today, I'm bringing you a riff on the salad I loved so long ago.
I think you will love this Cheesy Mexican Steak Salad with Chipotle Lime Dressing as much as I do. t is a meal that is perfect for easy entertaining or your next grill out!
Ingredients for Mexican Steak Salad
- Steak: I used skirt steak because it is a relatively inexpensive cut typically; you can use whatever cut that you like.
- Seasonings: I used garlic powder and chili powder for a simple and subtle southwestern flair. Chipotle chili powder, smoked paprika, and ground cumin would also be good options.
- Lime Juice: Fresh squeezed has the best flavor, but bottled works in a pinch.
- Oil: Salad dressing are one place where I splurge for a good extra virgin olive oil
- Chipotle Chile in Adobo Sauce: You can find this in small cans, typically in the ethnic section of the grocery store.
- Garlic: Fresh minced is best.
- Cilantro: I love cilantro, but if you are one of those who doesn't, you can leave it off. If you like, you could use two tablespoons of fresh Mexican oregano in its place.
- Sweetener: I used honey; feel free to use whatever sweetener you like. Either liquid or powdered will work.
- Seasonings: A simple blend of cumin and salt works well here. Adjust the amount to your taste.
- Lettuce: Romaine is my preference, but iceberg or butter lettuce would also work here.
- Cheese: Pre-shredded Mexican cheese blend keeps things simple.
- Black Beans: If you want to cook your own, use this recipe for Slow Cooker Black Beans.
- Onion: If you aren't a fan of raw red onion, try soaking it for a bit in a bowl of ice water. This can help to mellow out the bite.
- Corn: If you happen to have cooked fresh corn kernels on hand, they work great too.
- Tomato: Grape tomatoes are what I used, but cherry or even diced tomatoes work as well.
- Avocado: Make sure you wait until just before serving to cut it!
Cheesy Mexican Steak Salad
- 8 ounces skirt steak or cut of choice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 ounces romaine lettuce chopped
- 8 ounces Mexican Cheese blend
- 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- ½ red onion sliced thin
- 1 cup frozen corn thawed
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1 avocado diced
- Mix garlic powder, chili powder and sea salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle over steak and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium high heat.
- Grill steak to desired doneness. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Slice.
- Meanwhile, make dressing by combining lime juice, olive oil, chipotle chile, garlic, cilantro, honey, cumin and sea salt in a blender. Process until smooth.
- In a large bowl combine romaine, all but ¼ cup of the chees, black beans, onion, corn and tomatoes.
- Toss salad with desired amount of dressing. Top with steak, avocado and remaining cheese.