Essential Oils for Fever can be a great natural alternative when you aren't feeling your best. Here is what you need to know about how to use them safely for those times that you are suffering from minor illness and need relief to rest.
Essential Oils for Fever Can Help You Feel Better Quick!
What is a Fever?
A fever is an increase in body temperature that is usually caused by the body’s attempt to fight infection or an injury. Normal body temperature is 98.6F, and 99.5F is typically considered having a fever.
You should always treat a fever in an infant as serious. From a few months to a few years old it is generally recommended that you not treat a fever under 100.2F unless there is severe discomfort.
In adults, it is ok to let a fever run its course as long as it is under 101 degrees F. A fever is the body's natural reaction to fend of germs.
Note: If a fever lasts more than 24 hours or reaches 103 degrees seek medical attention. Make sure you call the doctor if a fever in an infant between 3 and 6 months reaches 101. (The only oil I would recommend for a child under 6 months is one drop of very well diluted lavender oil.) Do not use peppermint essential oil in children under six years of age or eucalyptus essential oil in children under ten years of age.
Please note: The information provided below is a compilation of suggestions made by those that have used essential oils and has NOT been scientifically verified with clinical tests nor reviewed by medical experts. It is anecdotal information and should be treated as such. For serious medical concerns, please seek professional medical attention.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Essential Oils for Fever
The most effective essential oils for fever are:
(Links are to the exact oils I recommend!)
- Peppermint - my pick for the best essential oil for fever
- Black Pepper
- Tea Tree
The Quality of The Essential Oils You Use Matters!
After looking closely at the quality, purity, and ethics of so many companies, I've fallen in love with both the company and their oils. They have a large line of organic oils and are serious about safety. Every single batch is tested to ensure purity!
Read my full Plant Therapy Review for why they are my go-to company.
Suggested Ways to Use Essential Oils to Treat A Fever
Essential Oils for Fever in Adults and Older Children (Over 10)
- 2 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 2 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 1 teaspoon carrier oil
Mix peppermint, eucalyptus and carrier oil in a small dish.
Apply to the forehead, back of the neck, tips of ears and bottoms of feet. Reapply every 15 minutes until the fever goes down.
Eucalyptus should not be used in children under 10. Peppermint should not be used in children under 6.
Essential Oils for Fever in Babies and Small Children
- 3 drops lavender
- 3 drops lemon
- 1-ounce carrier oil
Combine lavender, lemon and carrier oil in a small dish.
Apply to the spine and bottom of the feet.
On babies and small children, it is important that they not touch areas where oils are applied and then rub their eyes. Always dilute to a ratio of 6 drops of essential oil to 1 ounce of carrier oil for babies and children.
How Do You Get a Fever to Break Using Essential Oils for Fever?
- Compress - A tepid compress with Peppermint and eucalyptus may be used for adults and children over ten. Omit eucalyptus in children between the ages of six and ten.
- Sponge Bath - Try to bring the fever down by sponging the body with cool water. Add eucalyptus, peppermint, chamomile or lavender to a basin of cool water and sponge the body.
- Induce Sweating - Basil may be diluted and used on the feet and spine to induce sweating. (Your body heat will dry your sweat which can be effective at bringing down a fever.)
- Control Infection - To control infection, apply 1 drop each of cinnamon, lemon, eucalyptus, clove and tea tree diluted in a tablespoon of carrier oil to the bottom of the feet 4 times daily.
- Prevent Spreading - Spray the room with thyme linalol and tea tree to help keep germs from spreading.
If you have ever used essential oils to reduce fever, I would love to know your favorite essential oil for fever. Leave a comment below!
If You Like Essential Oils for Fever, You May Also Like:
- Essential Oils for Arthritis
- 15 Tips to Naturally Combat the Cold & Flu
- Essential Oils for Flu
- Essential Oils for Back Pain