For a delicious lunch that is perfect for meal prep, this Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad is perfect! Cranberries, celery, and pecans give the right balance of sweetness, nuttiness, and texture, while the zippy dressing adds just the right zing.
Making a delicious chicken salad doesn’t have to be complicated.
In fact, with this simple chicken salad recipe with Greek yogurt, you can have a meal that’s both tasty and good for you in no time.
This recipe is perfect for a quick and easy healthy lunch or dinner. The ingredients are simple and easy to find, and the preparation is minimal.
So if you’re looking for a healthy and satisfying meal, give this healthy chicken salad with Greek yogurt a try!
Ingredients for Making Chicken Salad with Greek Yogurt
- Greek Yogurt: Instead of mayo, this healthy chicken salad recipe uses plain Greek yogurt to bind all the ingredients together. Not only does this make the salad healthier, but it also gives it a delicious tangy flavor. I recommend full-fat Greek yogurt. (Of course, this recipe would work with mayonnaise if you prefer.)
- Dijon Mustard: This ingredient adds a bit of spice and depth of flavor to the salad. If you don’t have dijon mustard on hand, you can use regular yellow mustard instead.
- Swerve or Sugar: This is used to sweeten the salad. You can use any type of sugar that you prefer.
- Red Wine Vinegar: The vinegar helps balance the flavors in the salad and gives it a bit of tang.
- Celery Salt: This is a great way to add flavor to the salad without adding extra calories.
- Black Pepper: A must-have ingredient in any recipe, black pepper adds a bit of heat to the salad.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast: You can use rotisserie chicken or cook your chicken breast for this recipe. Just be sure that it’s cooked through and cooled before cubing it. If you prefer shredded chicken, that works as well.
- Celery Ribs: Celery is a classic ingredient in chicken salad and gives the dish a nice crunch.
- Pecans: Pecans add a delicious nutty flavor to the salad. Almonds are a good substitute. Be sure to toast them before adding them to the salad, so they’re nice and crunchy.
- Dried Cherries: Dried cherries add a bit of sweetness and color to the salad. Dried cranberries are also a great option. Diced apples are a good alternative if you prefer not to use dried fruit.
- Onion: A sweet onion is a perfect addition to this salad. It adds flavor without being too overpowering. For a milder taste, use green onion.
- Chives or Fresh Parsley: These fresh herbs add color and flavor to the salad. Fresh dill is also a great option. Feel free to use whichever one you prefer, or have on hand.
Tips & Tricks
- You can use any type of sugar that you prefer in this recipe. If you’re watching your sugar intake, use Swerve or another sugar-free alternative, or you can even leave it out altogether.
- The vinegar helps balance the flavors in the chicken salad with yogurt, so don’t skip it! If you don’t care for vinegar, lemon juice is a good alternative.
- To add even more flavor to the salad, make sure you toast the pecans before adding them in.
- If you want to shred your chicken, the easiest way to do this is in a stand mixer.
This chicken salad with no mayo is delicious on its own over a bed of leafy greens, or you can serve it with a few simple sides.
Try serving it with some whole grain crackers or pita chips or on top of a bed of greens.
It would also be great as a chicken salad sandwich, wrap, or lettuce wraps.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, this salad can be made ahead of time. Simply prepare the salad as directed and store it in an airtight container in the fridge until you’re ready to eat it.
Yes, this salad is gluten-free.
If you’re not a fan of chicken, you could try using turkey or tofu instead. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time as needed.
It can be, but often is not. This chicken salad is healthier than most, thanks to Greek yogurt.
Greek yogurt is a good source of protein and calcium and is also lower in calories and fat than traditional mayonnaise.
This recipe also includes other wholesome ingredients like celery, onions, and pecans.
So if you're looking for a healthy option, this Greek yogurt chicken salad with no mayo is a great choice.
No mayo chicken salad can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. I do not recommend freezing chicken salad.
How to Make Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad
In a medium dish, make the Greek yogurt chicken salad dressing by combining the Greek yogurt, mustard, sweetener, vinegar, celery salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine.
Place the chicken, celery, pecans, cherries, and onions in a large mixing dish. Toss the chicken mixture with the dressing to coat it thoroughly.
Allow the flavors to combine for 1 hour in the refrigerator before serving.
More Chicken Salad Recipes to Love
- This Poppy Seed Chicken Salad is one of my go-to summer recipes. The chicken tastes unbelievably fresh, and the grapes, red onion, and celery make for an addictive combination you won't miss out on!
- Creamy avocado and sesame seeds add crunch to this Asian Chicken Salad, but it's the soft rice noodles that take center stage in my favorite part.
- The sweet and tangy flavors of this Healthy Curry Chicken Salad will leave you wanting more! With vibrant colors that are perfect for any occasion, it's not hard to see why we love the dish so much.
- The Cranberry Chicken Salad is a lunchtime favorite! I love that you get the crunch from pecans, onions, and celery with every bite. The sweet flavor of cranberries pairs perfectly with this savory dish.
Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad
- ⅔ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Swerve or sugar of choice
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast cooked and cubed
- 3 celery ribs sliced
- ½ cup pecans toasted and chopped
- ⅓ cup dried cherries
- ⅓ cup chopped sweet onion
- For garnish: chopped chives or parsley
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, mustard, sweetener, vinegar, celery salt, and black pepper.
- Place the chicken, celery, pecans, cherries, and onions in a large bowl.
- Toss the chicken mixture with the dressing.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.