This Healthy Curry Chicken Salad packs a punch of flavor! With vibrant and stunning colors and a subtle sweetness, you will love this recipe down to the last crunchy bite. This naturally gluten-free recipe is one I turn to again and again.
Chicken Salad is one of my go-to lunches. I love it because I can make it on the weekend during meal prep. I love days when I’ve got a delicious lunch that I can pull from the fridge no matter how busy things get.
This Healthy Curry Chicken Salad is my latest twist, and you won’t believe how easy or how flavorful it is to make. I’ve used Greek Yogurt to lighten it up a bit, and I think you will agree that there is no sacrifice with this one!
Ingredients for Making Healthy Curry Chicken Salad Recipes
- Cooked Chicken: Either breast or thighs will work.
- Green Onions: If you don’t have green onion on hand, diced red onion will work too.
- Celery: This adds a nice crunch!
- Cashews: Almonds or pecans work too!
- Cilantro: If you don’t care for cilantro, leave it off.
- Mayonnaise: For the healthiest option, use homemade or choose a brand with clean ingredients like Primal Kitchen. Alternatively, you can omit it entirely and use all yogurt.
- Greek Yogurt: To keep this chicken curry salad healthy, I substitute Greek yogurt for half of the mayonnaise.
- Mango Chutney: This adds a nice sweet zing, but it is entirely optional.
- Lemon Juice: Fresh squeezed lemon juice is best.
- Sweetener: To keep chicken curry salad healthy and sugar-free, I like to use Swerve. Any sweetener you like will work.
- Curry Powder: Use hot or mild - it is entirely a matter of personal preference.
- Turmeric: Turmeric has been used as a natural dye throughout history, and for a good reason! Make sure you are careful not to stain clothes or a much-loved cutting board.
- Cumin: Use ground cumin here, or toast cumin seeds and then grind them for a more intense and slightly smoky taste.
- Salt and Pepper: Make sure you don’t skip seasoning; adjust the amount to suit your personal preference.
Tips & Tricks
- Both curry powder and turmeric can stain, so be careful with light unsealed countertops, your hands, and cutting boards.
- Make this quick and easy recipe even easier by picking up a rotisserie chicken.
You can eat this Healthy Curried Chicken Salad by itself or serve it in lettuce wraps or on top of a green salad. I also like to toast gluten-free bread and make a sandwich or use a wrap to make a chicken salad wrap.
Don't miss my Healthy Curry Chicken Salad Web Story.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. To do this, either choose a dairy-free Greek yogurt, or simply use all mayonnaise.
You can, but I recommend straining it in a cheesecloth lined fine mesh strainer for best results. Otherwise, this healthy curried chicken salad recipe will come out watery.
This is entirely a matter of personal preference. Instant Pot Shredded Chicken works well, as does Slow Cooker Chicken.
For cubed chicken, you can simply poach it, or give this Air Fryer Chicken with no breading a try.
Absolutely! When I do this, I like to use cranberries instead of currents.
This recipe will keep well in the refrigerator for about four or five days. Unfortunately, it does not freeze well.
- Don’t have currants? Dried cranberries or apricots, golden raisins, apples, and grapes are all a good alternatives.
- If you would like to use another nut other than cashews, slivered almonds and pecans are good options.
- If you like your chicken salad with eggs, feel free to add in two or three chopped hard-boiled eggs.
- For an additional textural element, add in 8 ounces of sliced and drained water chestnuts.
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom is a nice addition.
Make it Vegan
To make a Vegan Curry Chicken Salad, use cooked and cubed tempeh or Gardein Chicken in place of the chicken. Use dairy-free Greek yogurt for the yogurt and Veganaise in place of mayonnaise.
Make it Nut-Free
Omit the cashews and add sesame seeds or pumpkin seeds (pepitas) for added crunch.
How to Make Healthy Curry Chicken Salad
First, start by chopping or shredding your chicken.
Place it in a bowl, and add the green onions, celery, cashews, currants, and cilantro.
In a separate bowl, combine the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, mango chutney, lemon juice, sweetener, curry powder, turmeric, and cumin.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve. (I like to refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
More Salad Recipes to Try
Healthy Curried Chicken Salad
- 1 pound cooked chopped or shredded chicken about 4 cups
- 4 green onions chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- ⅓ cup cashews chopped
- ⅓ cup currants or dried cranberries
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Combine the chopped chicken, onions, celery, cashews, currants, and cilantro in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, mango chutney, lemon juice, Swerve, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Add the dressing to the chicken mixture.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.