I think it is the Mommy-guilt that comes from traveling and them not having “normal” birthday parties with other kids, but I really tend to stress their birthdays.
This year, I had a major win.
BOTH boys declared this birthday the best ever. And I have to say, I agree. I completely enjoyed everything about the day, and I’m not too sure how many birthday’s I could say that about. There was absolutely zero stress.
One thing I love about NOT having a traditional party, is that I am free to plan the day how I think the boys would enjoy it the most.
Their was no keyed up little boy energy all day, impatient for the big event. The boys had plenty of time to play and then we went to the most amazing lunch at Tommy Bahama. The weather was perfect and we were able to eat outside.
I will forever remember that we were the happy family. The one you look at when your kids are misbehaving and there is another family where everyone is acting perfectly and there is nothing but laughter and conversation going around. Even Skye didn’t make a peep other than to laugh at her silly brothers.
After lunch, we took them to the arcade where I may or may not have beaten hubs at some racing games. It’s true. After years of being a stick in the mud, I’ve finally adopted the if you can’t beat them join them attitude towards the arcade in the last year. You really have to know me to know how bizarre that is.
By 2:00, the weather was perfect. As in absolutely perfect. We left Skye with a sitter to nap and the four of us headed off for an afternoon at the beach.
After Christian’s favorite dinner (burgers – I know, I know…), we snuggled in bed and watched movies. My baby boy may not have stayed little, but I’ll never forget the magical day when he turned 8.
If you are looking for a little healthy magic in your life, I highly recommend this Grilled Chipotle Chicken Tortilla Salad. It is a hearty dinner-worthy salad and one I absolutely ADORE.
- Chicken or Tempeh
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast or thighs or tempeh
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 red onion coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce + 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup red whine vinegar
- 1/2 avocado peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil or chia gel 2 tsp chia seeds + 1/4 cup water
- 6 corn tortillas
- olive oil spray
- 6 cups of mixed greens
- 1 red onion sliced thin
- 1/2 avocado diced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 1/2 cups black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup organic corn thawed
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese optional
- If using chia gel in dressing, combine 2 teaspoons chia seeds and 1/4 cup water. Stir well and set aside.
- Heat a grill pan to medium high. In a bowl combine cumin, paprika, chili powder and salt. Coat chicken with spices and grill until cooked through. Allow to cool slightly then slice into thin strips.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut tortillas into thin strips and then half lengthwise. Place on a baking sheet and spray with olive oil spray. Salt and pepper to taste. Bake about 10 minutes, turning half way through.
- Make dressing by combining onion, garlic, adobo sauce, vinegar, avocado in a food processor. Add oil or chia gel in a steady stream.
- Combine lettuce, onion, avocado, tomatoes, black beans, corn and cheese in a large bowl. Add chicken and toss with enough dressing to coat. Serve with additional dressing on the side if desired.
Recipe NotesWith Oil: Servings 8, Calories 469, Fat 21.2g, Carbohydrates 42g, Protein 29.5g, Cholesterol 65mg, Sodium 375mg, Potassium 878mg, Fiber 13.2g, Sugars 7g, WW Pts 12 With Chia Gel: Servings 8, Calories 418, Fat 15g, Carbohydrates 42g, Protein 30g, Cholesterol 65mg, Sodium 375mg, Potassium 882mg, Fiber 13.4, Sugars 7g, WW Pts 10