Mashed Sweet Potatoes are not only a holiday favorite; they are something that can be enjoyed throughout the year. These Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes are buttery and creamy with a subtle hint of sweet heat. They are easy to make, and the whole family will love them. Make this and be prepared for clean plates all around!
Table of contents
Mashed sweet potatoes are one of my all-time favorite comfort foods, and I'm so excited to share this Instant Pot recipe with you.
Pressure cooking this delicious side is easier than you might think.
Just a few simple ingredients yields creamy, mouth-watering mashed sweet potatoes that will receive rave reviews all around.
Ready with just minutes of hands-on time, sweet potato mash Instant Pot style will become a new family favorite - and one of your favorite potato recipes!
Ingredients for Making Instant Pot Sweet Potato Mash
- Sweet Potatoes: You want about 2 pounds of peeled and diced potatoes. You can cut the potatoes into moderately large pieces.
- Water: Don’t try to cook the potatoes in milk as it is prone to curdling at high temperatures. If you don’t want to use water, vegetable broth is a good option.
- Milk: Use whole milk, half and half, or heavy cream for the creamiest mashed sweet potatoes. To keep this vegan and dairy-free, any unsweetened non-dairy milk or canned coconut milk will work.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter to control the level of salt better. Earth Balance is a great option if you prefer to keep the dish vegan or don’t want to use butter.
- Brown Sugar: I used traditional brown sugar, but Swerve brown sugar alternative is also an option if you prefer to go sugar free. Maple syrup is another great option.
- Seasonings: Salt, pepper, and chipotle chili powder add just the right kick. Adjust the amount to your taste. Vary the flavor profile by adding cinnamon, rosemary, or garlic powder.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- Make sure to choose the right type of potato. While there are many different sweet potato varieties, the two most common are the Beauregard and the Jersey Sweet. For mash, try to use the Beauregard. It has a higher sugar content and will be more flavorful. Other sweet potatoes that are good for mashed sweet potatoes are Garnet and Hannah.
- Make sure you cook the potatoes until they're soft enough to mash. Cooked sweet potatoes should be easy to pierce with a fork.
- For best results, use a potato masher or immersion blender to make sure this mashed sweet potato recipe comes out creamy.
- Topping with your favorite herbs is a great way to add a pop of flavor.
- Skip the sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving or Christmas and serve these pressure cooker sweet potatoes with Ninja Foodi Grill Turkey Breast or Air Fryer Turkey Breast.
- Blackstone Chicken is a super-simple side dish that is so full of flavor. Finish the meal with a green sald with Italian Dressing.
- A classic Roast Beef is perfect here!
- Air Fryer Chicken Thighs are crispy and flavor-packed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sweet potatoes are a type of tuberous root vegetable that are native to Central and South America. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes, and their skin can be either white, yellow, orange, or brown.
Sweet potatoes are often used in savory dishes, but they can also be cooked and eaten as a sweet treat.
When cooked, their flesh becomes soft and fluffy, and their natural sweetness becomes more pronounced.
Though they are often used interchangeably, sweet potatoes and yams are actually two different vegetables.
Sweet potatoes belong to the morning glory family, while yams are members of the Lily family.
Sweet potatoes have smooth, thin skin and come in a variety of colors, including white, yellow, orange, and purple. They also have a sweeter flavor and softer flesh than yams.
Yams, on the other hand, have thick, bumpy skin and typically only come in one color: brown. They also tend to be larger and starchier than sweet potatoes.
When cooked, yams will often retain their shape better than sweet potatoes, making them a good choice for dishes like gratins or stews.
Mashed sweet potatoes can be frozen, but there are a few things to keep in mind.
First, make sure the mash is cooled completely before freezing, as hot foods can cause freezer burn and also increase the temperature of your freezer.
Second, frozen mashed sweet potatoes will have a slightly different texture after being thawed, so they may not be ideal for using as-is in recipes.
However, they can still be used in cooked dishes such as casseroles or pies. Make sure you thaw them overnight in the fridge before using them.
Tools Needed to Pressure Cooker Sweet Potatoes
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Instant Pot
- Steamer Basket
- Immersion Blender or Potato Masher
Store leftovers in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to four days. Reheat in the microwave, oven, or on the stovetop.
How to Make Mashed Sweet Potatoes in an Instant Pot
First, start by peeling your potatoes and cutting them into chunks. You want them relatively uniform in size, but you don’t need to be meticulous about this.
Place the potatoes in an Instant Pot steamer basket.
Pour water into the bottom of your electric pressure cooker and then set the steamer basket on top of it.
Place the lid on your pot.
Set the Instant Pot to Manual/High Pressure, and set it to sealing. Set your timer for eight minutes.
Let the steam release naturally for five minutes after the cooking time is up, and then release the pressure with a quick release.
Drain the potatoes, and then return them to the pot.
Add the milk, butter, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, and chipotle chili powder.
Beat with a hand mixer, immersion blender, or potato masher until the desired consistency is reached.
More Instant Pot Recipes to Try
- Looking for a simple way to make a favorite staple? You will love this Instant Pot Jasmine Rice.
- For easy veggie dishes, these Instant Pot Carrots are perfect!
- I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve made these Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas. Give them a try, and I think you will love them too.
- Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks are a favorite family meal you will turn to repeatedly.
- Thanks to these crazy good Instant Pot Chicken Tacos, Taco Tuesday just got easier.
More Recipes to Try
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot
- Potato Masher or
- Immersion Blender
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle chili powder or cayenne pepper
- For topping: pecans
- Peel your sweet potatoes and cut them into chunks.
- Place the potatoes in your steamer basket.
- Pour the water into the bottom of the pot and place the steamer basket on top of it.
- Set your Instant Pot to Manual on high pressure for 8 minutes.
- When the cooking time is up, let the steam release naturally for 5 minutes, and then do a quick release.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot.
- Add the milk, butter, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, and chipotle chili powder.
- Beat with a hand mixer, immersion blender, or potato masher until they reach your desired consistency.
What a great way to make mashed sweet potatoes quickly! Excellent Instant Pot recipe. I especially love the little kick of cayenne along side the black pepper. Delicious!
This is such a great, no fuss sweet potato recipe! I love that I can let my instant pot do the work and it is much quicker than other methods I've used.