This No Mayo Coleslaw recipe will be the star of your next grill out! A zippy dressing that has just the right amount of sweet heat and a punchy vibrant tang plays well with colorful veggies, crunchy pumpkin seeds and full-flavored herbs. You are going to want to make this recipe time and again all summer long.
Your Grill Out Just More Delicious Thanks to This No Mayo Coleslaw Recipe!
It is no secret that I love my veggies.
And among my favorites – along with broccoli – is cabbage.
I know it isn’t even a tiny bit sexy. But I am obsessed with the crunch.
I mean, isn’t crunch amazing?
Plus, I love the color that purple cabbage lends to my table. (Though green cabbage rocks too. You could totally make this coleslaw without mayo with green, or if you want to get all fancy you could do a blend.)
I think wraps NEED slaw, and most sandwiches are better off with touch of it too.
The truth is, there are countless ways that you can use coleslaw. Here is a great post on fourteen ways!
Perhaps my favorite way to serve coleslaw is as a side dish for casual entertaining.
It is easy to make ahead and is something that is universally loved.
From your next grill out to back-to-school potluck dinners, coleslaw is always a hit.
But I’m going to step out here and make a suggestion.
Let’s skip the mayonnaise, ok?
Nothing against mayo. Mayo and I – in moderation – are friends.
I love it as much as the next girl.
(Especially if it is homemade mayonnaise.)
I don’t know about you, but after a much indulgence, I am in desperate need to lighten things up.
You know, before we are in full on comfort food/holiday mode. (Because we are going to blink and be there.)
But that doesn’t mean we have to sacrifice. I promise you, coleslaw without mayo can be just as delicious as the “real” thing.
This dressing is light and fresh with a sweet heat flavor that I adore. (Plus, I’ve given you a couple of ways to mix things up in the recipe notes – so you can customize this recipe to your own tastes and menu.)
Making your coleslaw without mayo could make you popular among your neighbors.
Because when it comes to outdoor entertaining, nothing says fun any LESS than a touch of food poisoning.
You don’t want to be the one who gives the HOA President food poisoning, do you?
How to Make Coleslaw Without Mayonnaise
Step 1: Gather Your Ingredients
You will need shredded red cabbage, carrots, red onion, chopped parsley, pepitas, olive oil, rice wine vinegar, spicy mustard, Swerve, minced garlic, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper
Step 2: Make the Dressing:
Combine olive oil, rice wine vinegar, spicy mustard, Swerve, minced garlic, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper in a blender and process until smooth.
Step 3: Chop your veggies and place in a large bowl.
Step 4: Toss and Serve!
Tips for Making this Quick Coleslaw Recipe with No Mayonnaise
- Because the size of cabbage heads can vary, I recommend tossing the prepared coleslaw with half the dressing. See how “wet” the slaw is and add more is needed. (You can use any leftover to drizzle on a bowl, or as a salad dressing. )
- To make things easier, shred the vegetables using a food processor. Alternatively, you can buy a bag of coleslaw mix. Or give your well trained teen a knife and tell him to chop-chop.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How long will coleslaw keep in the refrigerator?
This slaw will hold up well in the refrigerator for several days, but is best in the first 24 hours.
How long will undressed cabbage or coleslaw mix last in the refrigerator?
It should last for between three and five days.
How bad is coleslaw for you?
Coleslaw without mayonnaise is actually very good for you! Loaded with veggies, it is an excellent side!
Variations for This Recipe
- For Mexican Coleslaw without Mayo, use lime juice in place of vinegar and cilantro in place of parsley. Add a seeded diced jalapeño or 1/3 cup diced pickled jalapeños. (If you go that route I’d toss a bit of the jalapeño brine into the dressing.)
- Add 1 tablespoon Sriracha, 2 teaspoons of fish sauce and 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil. In place of the pepitas, top with sesame seed.
- Add 1 teaspoon celery salt and 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard.
- This Coleslaw is great in wraps and on burgers with sandwiches. Or, serve it as a side!
- I love it with Air Fryer Fried Chicken Legs or this Air Fryer Chicken Breast Recipe.
- It would be great with these Healthy Burgers or these Italian Burgers.
Tools for Making Coleslaw without Mayo
The following are affiliate links. We are a participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
If You Like No Mayo Coleslaw You May Also Like:
No Mayo Coleslaw Recipe
With a zippy dressing that has just the right about of sweet heat, this No Mayo Coleslaw will be the star of your next grill out!
No Mayo Coleslaw
- 1/2 medium red cabbage shredded
- 2 medium carrots peeled and grated or julienned
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup pepitas or sunflower seeds
- Coleslaw Dressing
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
- 2 tablespoons Swerve confectioners or sweetener of choice (honey or maple syrup will work)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper omit if you don’t like heat
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, carrots, red onion, parsley, and pepitas.
- In a blender combine olive oil, rice wine vinegar, mustard, Swerve, garlic, cayenne pepper salt, and pepper.
- Process until smooth.
- Toss the coleslaw dressing with the cabbage mixture. Refrigerate until ready to serve.