These Quinoa Chocolate Bars are a healthier treat that you are going to love. With rich chocolate, crispy quinoa, almonds and a touch of salt, these will quickly become your go-to dessert.
I don't have a huge sweet tooth, but I do love chocolate.
Almost everyone loves chocolate, right?
(I'd say doesn't everyone, but my Dad and one of my sons don't like chocolate. #weirdos #kiddingnotkidding)
For years my go-to chocolate recipe has been these quinoa chocolate bars. I am in love with the salty sweet combo.
You won't believe how easy they are to make!
You can pop your quinoa in an electric popcorn popper, but most of the time I just do it on the stove top.
[clickToTweet tweet="Check out these #Quinoa #Chocolate Bars! " quote="Check out these #Quinoa #Chocolate Bars! "]
I like to keep popped quinoa on hand all the time to throw into salads or whip up a sweet treat like these quinoa chocolate bars.
Once you've got your quinoa popped, these quinoa bars come together in a flash! Melt the chocolate and combine the almonds, popped quinoa, and salt. Add half of the quinoa mixture to the chocolate and pour it into molds. Top with the remaining quinoa mixture and allow it to harden.
Have fun with this recipe!
It is so simple, but there are a lot of ways that you could mix things up. Try adding dried cherries or using another nut!
Quinoa Chocolate Bars
Quinoa Chocolate Bars
- 3/4 cup quinoa rinsed and dried
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 lb chocolate cut into equal size pieces (I used vegan chocolate; any type works - dark, milk, etc.)
- 1 cup almonds toasted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Place coconut oil in a popcorn popper and allow to get warm.
- Add quinoa and cook about 5 minutes, until quinoa is lightly brown. Alternatively, pop quinoa for 5 to 10 minutes in a covered saucepan, shaking to prevent burning.
- Spray candy bar molds with oil.
- Place chocolate in a microwave and heat for 40 seconds. Stir and cook in 30 second increments until melted, stirring in between cooking. Alternatively, place in the top of a double boiler and cook over medium low until melted.
- In a small bowl, combine popped quinoa, almonds and sea salt. Add 1/2 of the mixture to the chocolate. Pour chocolate into molds and top with the remainder of the popped quinoa mixture.
- Allow to sit until firm, at least 2 hours. If you just can’t wait, you can also put the chocolate into the freezer for 20–45 minutes, depending on the thickness of your chocolate bars.