These Quinoa Crispy Treats are a healthier alternative to traditional rice crispy treats. Gluten free and easily made vegan.
I am a big believer in all things in moderation, but things can get a little out of hand this time of year.
Between holiday gifts and baking, there is way more sugar in our house than normal.
The kids talked me into buying a bag of marshmallows last time we were at Whole Foods, and I had been trying to decide what to do with them.
They asked me to make Rice Krispie treats, but I hadn’t gotten around to buying the cereal.
One day I was standing in the pantry and noticed the Quinoa Puffs and Quinoa Choco-Puffs that had been sent to me a while back from GoGo Quinoa. Since the Quinoa Choco-Puffs are very much like rice cereal, I decided to use them to make the crispy treats the kids were craving.
They didn’t need to know that I was using healthier ingredients. (And every little bit of nutrition helps, right?)
Ground flax seeds were thrown in for good measure, and I was secretly wondering how it was going to go over. (Hopefully, I hadn’t just wasted a ton of ingredients.)
I held my breath when my oldest took a bite because…he is so picky.
I couldn’t help but feel a little bit victorious when they were declared “amazing”. With the marshmallows and sprinkles, no way they are healthy. But at least they are healthier. Moderation, right?
I would recommend using any type of crispy brown rice cereal if you want to give this a try and don’t want to order online. You should be able to find it at the grocery store. Finding quinoa pops/puffs can be tricker, and usually requires a Whole Foods trip or online order.
If You Like Quinoa Crispy Treats You May Also Like:
Recommended Tools to Make Quinoa Crispy Treats:
Quinoa Crispy Treats
- Line an 8 x 8 pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine brown rice cereal, quinoa pops and flax seed meal.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows and cook until melted, stirring frequently.
- Add melted marshmallows to cereal mixture and stir well. You may need to use clean hands to get everything well combined. (I did.)
- Press mixture into prepared pan. If desired, top with sprinkles.Hide from your kids until they have the chance to set.