These Quinoa Egg Muffins are an easy to make quinoa breakfast recipe that is perfect for your busy work week! It is a great healthy make ahead breakfast recipe.
Hello! Kim and Hector here from Our Fresh Kitchen, a food blog dedicated to making healthy food both delicious and uncomplicated. Today we’d like to share one of our favourite time-saving breakfast recipes by putting a healthy twist on an old favourite: quiche.
Breakfast is one of the trickiest meals of the day, and not just for us. We’re both endurance athletes, which means we’re usually up really early training before work and need a post-workout meal that is healthy, satisfying and easy to grab on the way out the door, but who doesn’t want breakfast to be all of those things? A busy schedule shouldn’t stop you from starting your day off right, and we can’t think of a better way to eat your veggies for breakfast and actually enjoy them.
Quinoa egg muffins are basically a miniature vegetable quiche, but instead of making pastry – which is both complicated and not very healthy, violating two of our core principles – we just add a teaspoon of uncooked quinoa to the bottom of the muffin pan before adding the egg mixture, and voilà! A gluten-free, chewy crust that adds a little grain to your morning hit of vegetables and protein.
We suggest making a big batch of quinoa egg muffins on the weekend and either refrigerating or freezing them for the week. Two regular-sized muffins have 150 calories, a serving of veggies and 12g of protein, but we often double the recipe and use a jumbo muffin pan to make meal-sized versions.
Grab a couple of these with some toast on your way out the door and you’ll be way ahead of everyone else who didn’t eat their veggies for breakfast.
We are Kim and Hector, busy endurance athletes who became frustrated by healthy recipes that have complicated steps and way too many ingredients we don’t generally have on hand. Our Fresh Kitchen combines our love of cooking, baking, photography and active living to create healthy, uncomplicated food that actually tastes good – without an extra trip to the grocery store for things like pink Himalayan sea salt and organic avocado oil. You don’t have to be an athlete to make healthy eating a priority, but it just might give you the energy to become one!
Quinoa Egg Muffins
- Butter or non-stick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 7 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 heads broccoli
- 1/3 red pepper
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease muffin pans with butter or non-stick cooking spray. Spoon 1 teaspoon of quinoa into the bottom of each muffin cup.
- Mix together the eggs and milk (non-diary milks are fine too), beating with a fork until combined. Cut most of the stalk from the broccoli and finely chop each head, then add broccoli to the egg and mix them together.
- Pour the broccoli and egg from the mixing bowl into a large liquid measuring cup or some other container with a spout to make the next step easier; use the measuring cup to pour the mixture into the prepared muffin pans, making sure the broccoli and egg is evenly distributed.
- Slice the red pepper and chop into pieces, then top each egg muffin with the pepper and crumbled feta cheese. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes, until the egg puffs up in the center and the muffin is cooked all the way through.
- If you're not serving these right away, let them cool in the pan then store them in a sealed container in the fridge or freezer.