This Quinoa Taco Salad Bowl is a delicious and nutritious vegetarian meal that even meat eaters will love! The perfect weeknight dinner.
It was stormy here all weekend.
Usually, I would hate this.
But this weekend, I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way.
It has been such a busy month, and I relished the idea that is was going to be too nasty to go anywhere. No chance of the boys talking me into an arcade. No way that hubby was going to beg me to go to the beach.
(I love the beach when the weather is beautiful. He likes to go even if the fog is so thick that I expect a Captain Jack’s pirate ship to break through and land on shore any minute and the wind threatens to carry the baby off. #drives #me #crazy.)
My mood couldn’t have been more suited to a lazy weekend at home.
It was storming so badly I was just sure we were going to lose power at some point.
Early Saturday morning I rallied the troops (i.e. kids) to get the house in order. We picked up, made sure the water filter was full, laundry washed, devices and batteries charge and food that didn’t require cooking was prepared.
After that, I spend the weekend reading, snuggling and hanging with the kids.
I can’t remember the last time I completely abandoned my to-do list, and it was positively blissful.
I knew I was already set to share this Quinoa Taco Salad bowl with you today, so I didn’t even THINK about the blog.
I’ve mentioned previously that one of my goals for the year is updating my first quinoa recipes.
Because as underwhelming as some of my photos are, the earlier ones could seriously make a girl loose her appetite.
This Quinoa Taco Salad Bowl is such a great weeknight dinner. It also makes a great lunch.
I made the tortilla bowls with a mold I picked up on sale, but here are some ideas for how to make them if you don’t have one.
Quinoa Taco Salad Bowl
- Olive oil spray
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- ½ - 1 chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce chopped fine
- ½ cup quinoa rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans about 1 can
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn thawed
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 6 cups romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup grated Cheddar of Daiya
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 cup salsa
- For serving: tortilla chips OR tortilla bowl sour cream/Greek Yogurt
- Spray a medium skillet well with olive oil spray. Add chopped onion and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until tender. Add garlic, taco seasoning, chipotle chili, and quinoa. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce to low and cook for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice, pinto beans, corn, and cilantro. Cover and let sit off the heat for 5 minutes. Fluff.
- Fill bowls (either regular or tortilla bowls) with romaine lettuce. Top with quinoa mixture, cheese, avocado, and salsa. Serve with tortilla chips and sour cream or Greek Yogurt.