This Salisbury Steak with Onion Sauce is a great weeknight recipe! Gluten Free and So Easy to Make!
Regardless of the time of year, there are always days that I crave comfort food.
Sometimes a girl just needs it. Like went you find your favorite lipstick in the dryer after your preschooler decided to “help” you do the wash. Or when you spent an hour getting the kitchen clean, take a shower and come back, and it is a disaster again.
As much as I crave a little comfort from time to time, I’ve never been a big fan of heating up the oven when it is scorching outside.
Sometimes, it is unavoidable. Like when I NEED Macaroni and Cheese.
But when there is an option, I like to take it.
The Quality of Meat You Eat Matters!
You know that eating organic, grass-fed and ethically-raised animal protein is important, but sourcing it can be a challenge. Enter Butcher Box! Their monthly subscription service delivers a selection of hormone and antibiotic free cuts direct to your door, including 100% grass-fed and grass-finished beef, free range organic chicken and heritage breed pork.
Read my full Butcher Box Review for why they are my go-to company.
(The following link is an affiliate link)
Get 10% Off, Free Bacon & Free Shipping!
One summer swap I love is making Salisbury Steak instead of meatloaf. This Salisbury Steak with Paprika Onion Sauce can be cooked on the stove in a fraction of the time that it would take you to cook a meatloaf.
I love the sauce as is, but feel free to add a few teaspoons of honey if you like.
Looking for a side dish? Try this amazing Roasted Garlic and Goat Cheese Cauliflower Mash!
Other Comfort Food Recipes that Don’t Require the Oven:
Salisbury Steak with Paprika Onion Sauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil divided
- 1 large yellow onion sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic or 1 head roasted garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sweet paprika divided
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper
- 1 cup broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 cup Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper divided
- 1 lb grass fed ground beef divided
- 1/2 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 2 teaspoons dried mustard
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan and heat to medium. Add onions and cover. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium low and add garlic and 1 tablespoon paprika. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- In a food processor combine roasted red pepper and broth. Add to the pan along with the basil. Stir and scrape up browned bits. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until thickened and most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and stir in yogurt, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Meanwhile, combine beef, breadcrumbs, red onion, dried mustard, remaining 1/2 tablespoon paprika, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Mix until just combined and form into 4 oval shaped steaks, about 3/4 inch thick.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Add steaks and cook until browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Turn, reduce heat to medium and cook until the other side is browned. Continue cooking and turning every 3 minutes, until an instant read thermometer registers 165 degrees. Serve with sauce.