These easy Vegetarian Fajitas are made with onion, peppers, mushrooms, and zucchini seasoned in a zesty marinade. This flavor-packed meal has very little hands-on prep time making it perfect for a speedy weeknight meal. It just may become one of your favorite ways to use up your vegetables at the end of the week - feel free to get creative and use what you have on hand!
Vegetarian Fajitas with Mushrooms are a Delicious Weeknight Meal!
I was in my teens when I had fajitas for the first time.
It was love at first bite.
There was something about sharing a smoking skillet with sizzling vegetables and meat that felt like an experience to me.
When we were younger (before kids and any worries about a hot skillet on the table came into play), my husband and I would frequently go out and share fajitas for dinner during the work week.
It was a simple and not-so-expensive outing that I always looked forward to. Margaritas were a bonus, of course.
Although, weeknight dinners out are quite infrequent for our family, but fajitas are still something we enjoy on a regular basis.
I can't decide what I love more - how simple these veggie fajitas are to make or how delicious they are.
I do know one thing - you are going to love this vegetarian fajita recipe!
They are as easy to make as chopping some veggies, marinating them, and throwing them in a skillet. This recipe is perfect for Meatless Monday, or any time you are looking for a veg-packed meal.
How to Make Vegetarian Fajitas
1. Gather all of your ingredients.
2. Chop the veggies
3. Combine the marinade ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together. You can also combine everything in your blender.
4. Place vegetables in a shallow dish. Pour the marinade over the veggies.
5. Allow to marinade for 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
6. Drain the vegetables
7. Heat avocado oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
8. Add the onions and peppers to the pan and cook, stirring often, for 6 minutes.
9. After that, add mushrooms and zucchini and cook for 5 more minutes.
10. Meanwhile, heat another small skillet over medium-high heat.
11. Cook tortillas about 2 minutes per side in the small skillet.
12. To serve, add vegetables to warm tortillas. Top with avocado, salsa, sour cream, and cheese.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How Do You Make Vegan Fajitas?
Omit the cheese or substitute vegan cheese. Serve with Cashew Sour Cream in place of the Sour Cream
How to You Make Sheet Pan Veggie Fajitas?
Making sheet pan vegetarian fajitas is so easy! All you need to do is line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Prepare the recipe through step 3. Place the drained vegetables in a single layer on a baking sheet. Cook for 15 minutes. Stir and cook for 5 to 10 minutes longer, until the vegetables are tender.
How Do You Make Low Carb Fajitas?
Skip the tortilla and use a lettuce wrap or serve the vegetables over a bed of lettuce. Alternatively, you can use a low-carb tortilla.
What Goes in Vegetarian Fajitas?
- Red Onion
- Green, Red, and/or Yellow Bell Peppers
- Vegetable Marinade
- Sweet Potatoes
Tips for Making this Recipe Faster
- If you are short on time, buy pre-cut vegetables.
- Alternatively, the vegetables may be chopped up to two days in advance.
Mix it Up!
- Add one minced chipotle chili pepper and one tablespoon of adobo sauce to the marinade for a kick of heat.
- I used corn tortillas to keep it gluten-free, but you can use whatever tortillas you prefer.
- To add sweetness, add 2 teaspoons coconut sugar to the marinade.
- Skip the avocado or guacamole and instead serve with Mango Avocado Salsa.
- You can add black beans, garbanzo beans, or quinoa to your tortillas for an extra kick of protein.
What Do You Serve with Vegetable Fajitas?
- Lime rice, Mexican Quinoa or Spanish Cauliflower Rice all make great sides.
- Rainbow Citrus Slaw is an unexpected option that is ridiculously good.
- Slow Cooker Black Beans make a fabulous side, and work well in the fajitas too.
As an Amazon Associate, I Earn From Qualified Sales
Meal Prep Tip
Double the recipe and separate into individual containers. Add the fixings and you have a grab and go meal that will last for three or four days.
Tools Needed to Make This Recipe
If You Like These Vegetarian Fajitas You May Also Like:
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas are the ultimate easy weeknight meal. This is a kid-friendly recipe that you will turn to again and again.
- Slow Cooker Beef Fajitas are one of those recipes that I like to double so that I have enough to re-purpose the meat the next day.
- Vegetarian Paella is a healthy, satisfying and fun meal that even kids love!
- Vegetarian Stuffed Mushrooms are a crazy good appetizer that you can easily make ahead.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 large red onion sliced
- 3 bell peppers any color, seeded and cut into strips
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1 zucchini cut into matchsticks
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 Corn Tortillas
- Avocado or Guacamole
- Salsa or Hot Sauce
- Sour Cream
- In a small bowl combine avocado oil, lime juice, chili powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Place mushrooms, onions, peppers, zucchini and garlic in a shallow dish. Pour marinade over the vegetables and let marinade for 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- Heat the oil in a skillet to medium-high heat. Drain the vegetables.
- Add the onion and peppers to the pan and cook, stirring often, for 6 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and zucchini and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, while the vegetables are cooking heat another skillet over medium-high heat. Heat tortillas in the skillet until warmed through, about 2 minutes per side.
- To serve, add vegetables to the tortillas and top with avocado, salsa, sour cream, and cheese.