With the end of summer looming, it seem that everyone is focused on going back to school. And, like it or not, back to school means back to school lunches.
Even as a homeschooling mom, I still find that I need to give more thought to what the kids eat during the school year. I tend to be more indulgent in the summer when I know they are going to burn off their energy in the pool. It’s a different story come fall because, let’s face it, nothing says fun like trying to explain the ins and outs of division to a nine year old jacked up on sugar.
Quinoa Bacon Club Wrap #easy #glutenfreeClick To Tweet
As challenging as it is for all mom’s, planning can get even more difficult when you’ve got food allergies to consider. Though the boys have never shown any visible issues with gluten, because of Skye and my issues we are trending the whole family to be gluten free.
With that, I’ll be saying goodbye to many of their favorites and replacing them with gluten free alternatives. I thought I’d share with you some ideas of easy lunches that I have planned for my boys this school year.
Healthy Gluten Free School Lunches:
- Roasted Chicken and Cheese Sandwiches on Udi’s Gluten Free Bread, Fruit and Cinnamon Bites
- Turkey Roll Ups, Fruit, Yogurt, Granola
- Mini Quinoa Pancakes, Fruit, Cranberry Almond Quinoa Granola Bars
- Udi’s Gluten Free Pizza Bagel (Alex’s will be a Mexican Pizza Bagel), carrots, apple
- Kid Friendly Quinoa Fritters, grapes, celery and carrots with a healthier ranch dressing
- Bean and Cheese Burritos, Spanish Rice, Applesauce
- Veggie Quinoa Burritos, Grapes, Yogurt
- Hummus, Gluten Free Bagel Chips, Celery, Carrots, Strawberries and Cashews
- Gluten Free Pasta Salad, Granola Bars, Orange
- Greek Salad Wraps, Apple, Carrots
And, to give you one more idea for an amazing school lunch, try this Quinoa Bacon Club Wrap paired with fresh fruit!
This quinoa bacon club wrap is a fabulous easy and healthy gluten free school lunch.
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce gluten free
- 2/3 cup skinny ranch dressing see below
- 6 gluten free or whole wheat tortillas warmed
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 6 ounces cooked turkey or tempeh bacon crumbled
- 6 ounces Monterey Jack Cheese grated or Daiya
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes quartered
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives diced
- 3 cups iceberg lettuce shredded
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a small bowl combine barbecue sauce and ranch dressing.
- Place tortillas on a clean surface and spread a spoonful of dressing over tortilla. Divide the quinoa and bacon between the tortillas. Top with cheese, tomatoes, red pepper, olives, lettuce and avocado. Drizzle with additional dressing. Roll tortilla up tightly and secure with toothpicks.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by whisking together ingredients in a small bowl. Stir in refrigerator until using.
- Note: If you want a thinner dressing, reduce yogurt to 1/3 cup.
This recipe serves 4-6.