For a delicious and easy appetizer that is sure to delight, don’t miss this whipped ricotta dip. This easy appetizer has just a handful of ingredients and takes less than 15 minutes to make. Serve it with baguettes, pita chips, or raw vegetables, and be prepared for happy smiles all around.
Have you ever tried whipped ricotta dip? This amazing appetizer is so creamy and full of flavor that it's sure to be a hit at your next gathering.
Whether served as an accompaniment with some crispy garlic-seasoned baguette slices or enjoyed by itself (it’s that good!), this quick and easy recipe will tickle your taste buds with its savory flavor.
From the smooth texture of whole milk ricotta cheese combined with spices, lemon zest, fresh herbs, and a hint of heavy cream for richness—this scrumptious dip is as easy as it is delicious.
Read on to discover how to make this simple yet delicious ricotta cheese dip from scratch.
Ingredients for Making
- Ricotta: I recommend using full-fat (whole milk) ricotta for the best flavor, but you can use low-fat if you prefer.
- Heavy Cream: Heavy cream helps to give the ricotta dip a creamy texture.
- Parmesan: Grated parmesan cheese adds a delicious flavor and saltiness. Use freshly grated parmesan, not the kind from a can.
- Lemon Zest: The zest of one lemon gives this dip its subtle citrus flavor.
- Herbs & Spices: Fresh thyme or rosemary and a pinch of red pepper flakes give this dish a nice bite. Parsley, chives, basil, or mint also work if you prefer.
- Sea Salt: Sea salt enhances the flavor of the dip and helps to bring out all the flavors.
Step By Step
First, start by placing the ricotta into a medium bowl. If you have a stand mixer, using that is a great option. A food processor will also work.
Beat the ricotta until it is light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes.
Next, add in heavy cream and beat for 30 seconds to combine.
Then stir in the parmesan, lemon zest, thyme (or other herbs), salt, and red pepper flakes. Mix until everything is well incorporated but try not to deflate the whipped ricotta too much.
Finally, transfer to a serving bowl and top with your choice of nuts, flaky salt, olive oil, and fresh ground black pepper.
Tips & Tricks
- Don't forget to taste the dip as you make it and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Once you have whipped the ricotta, be careful not to overmix the dip. You want to mix until everything is incorporated while keeping the texture light and fluffy.
- If you want to mix up the flavors,, add some freshly minced garlic or roasted red peppers.
- Want to make baked ricotta dip? Place the dip in a small baking dish and top with mozzarella or goat cheese. Drizzle with a little olive oil and bake at 350° Funtil heated through about 15 minutes.
Serve lemon ricotta dip with crackers, pita chips, sliced baguette, or your favorite raw slice vegetables. Cherry tomatoes, carrots, cucumber, and bell peppers are all fabulous options.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you make ricotta light and fluffy?
To make ricotta light and fluffy, use a stand mixer or electric beaters to whip it for 1-2 minutes on high speed. You can also add in heavy cream to help aerate it, which will give it an even lighter texture. Follow these steps and your ricotta cheese spread will have the perfect light texture.
Can you make whipped ricotta in a blender?
Yes, you can make whipped ricotta in a blender. Just blend the ricotta with heavy cream until light and fluffy.
Tools Needed to Make
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Stand mixer or hand mixer.
This whipped ricotta dip is best served the day it is made but can be stored in the fridge for up to three days. Give it a good stir just before serving.
More Appetizer Recipes to Try
- Looking for a starter that is sure to wow the whole crowd? You are going to love these vegetarian stuffed mushrooms.
- Baked brie with jam is quick to make and always impresses guests!
- Corn dip with cream cheese works just as well for a cook out and game day as it does for your holiday buffet.
- Buffalo potatoes are a family favorite appetizer that also works well as a tasty side dish.
Whipped Ricotta Dip
- Stand Mixer
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced thyme or rosemary
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- For serving: baguette flaky salt, toasted nuts, extra virgin olive oil, fresh cracked pepper
- Place the ricotta in a medium bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on high until light, fluffy, and well-aerated.
- Beat in the heavy cream until mixed.
- Stir in the parmesan, lemon zest, thyme, salt, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and top with nuts, flaky salt, olive oil, and black pepper.