For a simple side that works as well for a weeknight dinner as it does for elegant entertaining, give this Baked Parmesan Asparagus recipe a try! It comes together in minutes and is the perfect easy veggie recipe. Make it once, and you will turn to it again and again.
When it comes to a healthy side dish, I am not sure that it gets much better than asparagus.
It is quick and easy to make and works as well for a simple chicken dinner as it does for a special occasion.
I love making it on my Blackstone griddle, air fryer, and Ninja Foodi Grill.
But sometimes, I go traditional use my oven, and this Baked Asparagus with Parmesan Cheese is my go-to easy side dish.
It only takes about 10 minutes, and the result is tender, slightly crispy spears of asparagus that are perfect with almost any meal.
Give it a try, and let me know what you think!.
Ingredients for Making Baked Asparagus with Parmesan
- Asparagus: Choose asparagus stalks that are uniform in thickness, so they cook evenly. If the asparagus spears are thick, you can snap off the woody ends before cooking. Keep a close eye if you have thin asparagus - it can quickly overcook.
- Avocado Oil: Avocado oil has a high smoke point and is perfect for cooking at high temperatures. It also has a light, neutral flavor that won't affect the taste of the asparagus. Feel free to use your preferred oil. Olive oil works, but I don’t recommend cooking with extra virgin olive oil.
- Salt, Pepper, and Crushed Red Pepper Flakes: Season the asparagus to your taste with these simple ingredients. You could use garlic powder, basil, or Italian seasoning.
- Parmesan Cheese: Freshly grated parmesan cheese takes this dish to the next level. It's delicious and adds a beautiful finishing touch. I recommend grating your parmesan or buying it pre-grated from the refrigerator section.
- Lemon Juice: A squeeze of fresh lemon juice brightens the flavors and is a nice finishing touch for this parmesan baked asparagus. Balsamic vinegar also works.
Tips & Tricks for Making the Best Baked Asparagus
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit before you start preparing the asparagus. This will help ensure that it cooks evenly.
- Be sure to wash the asparagus spears thoroughly before cooking. They often have dirt and sand on them from being grown in the ground.
- Bake the asparagus for 10-12 minutes to get that perfect crispy-yet-tender texture. Any longer, and they will start to get mushy.
- Serve the asparagus immediately after baking for the best flavor and texture.
Baked asparagus is a great side dish for many different meals. Try it with air fryer roasted chicken, Blackstone steak, or grilled salmon. You could also enjoy it on its own as a light and healthy snack.
Frequently Asked Questions
We recommend baking these parmesan asparagus be baked at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Yes, give the asparagus spears a good wash before cooking. They often have dirt and sand on them from being grown in the ground.
Yes, asparagus will become softer the longer you bake it. If you want to retain some of its crunch, we recommend cooking it for 10-12 minutes. Any longer, and it will start to get soft.
No, there is no need to soak asparagus before baking. Just be sure to wash it thoroughly to remove any dirt or sand.
No, you don't have to peel asparagus before cooking it. If the asparagus spears are thick, you can snap off the woody ends before cooking. Otherwise, they can be cooked as is.
If you want to peel your asparagus, you certainly can, but it isn’t necessary for this asparagus baked with parmesan cheese.
Tools Needed to Make Baked Asparagus
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Sheet Pan
- Parchment Paper
This baked asparagus with parmesan recipe is best enjoyed fresh out of the oven. However, it will keep in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Store it in a plastic bag or plate covered with aluminum foil.
Reheat in the oven or microwave before eating.
How to Make Baked Parmesan Asparagus
First, start by preheating the oven to 400° F.
Then, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the asparagus in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
Drizzle with oil and season with sea salt or kosher salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook the asparagus for 8 minutes.
Next, add the parmesan cheese and roast for another 3 to 4 minutes, until the asparagus is tender and the cheese is melted. (Thick asparagus could take slightly longer.)
Finally, sprinkle the roasted asparagus with freshly squeezed lemon juice and serve immediately. For even more flavor, add in a teaspoon of lemon zest.
Enjoy your delicious parmesan baked asparagus recipe!
More Side Dish Ideas
- Looking for a delicious and healthy salad recipe loaded with vegetables? Look no further than this Roasted Sweet Potato Salad! It's easy to prepare; you only need a few simple ingredients.
- Instant Pot Potato Salad is a delicious side that is perfect for summer.
- Caprese Pasta Salad works just as well for a side dish as a vegetarian main.
- Comfort god doesn’t get any better than this Sour Cream Potato Salad. This easy side dish recipe is always a hit!
- 1 bunch asparagus trimmed, about 1 pound
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ ounces parmesan cheese
- For serving: Lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Trim the woody ends of the asparagus if needed.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the asparagus in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle with oil and season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Cook asparagus for 8 minutes.
- Add the parmesan and roast for another 2 to 4 minutes, until the asparagus is tender and the cheese is melted.
- Top with freshly squeezed lemon juice and serve immediately.
My favorite way to make asparagus! Perfectly roasted and Parmesan brings just the right balance of flavors and salt.
This baked parmesan asparagus is easy to make and goes great with chicken. It's delicious, and I plan to prepare more of it for a formal dinner.
This recipe is perfect! Love making this over and over again ✨