Have you ever wondered what it would be like to have a perfectly roasted, juicy, and succulent whole chicken with minimal effort? Well, believe it or not, you can now accomplish this feat with ease using the Ninja Foodi! In this blog post, we will discuss how to use the Ninja Foodi pressure cooking/air fryer hybrid appliance to make a perfect roast-style Ninja Foodi whole chicken bursting with flavor. With just a few simple steps and minimal hands-on time required, this simple recipe is perfect for a busy weeknight.
If you love meals that save money, are great for meal prep, and have easy clean-up, you are going to love this Ninja Foodi roast chicken.
You get all of the flavors of a rotisserie chicken in the comfort of your own home.
Tender, succulent chicken with perfectly crispy skin doesn’t get any better than this. Once you make roast chicken in your Ninja Foodi, you will wonder why you ever made it any other way.
Follow along, and I’ll show you how to save time and money with this simple recipe.
- BBQ Seasoning: You can buy BBQ seasoning in the spice section of most grocery stores, or buy it online. Alternatively, you can make your own by combining smoked paprika, garlic powder, brown sugar, salt, pepper, chili powder, and ground mustard.
- Salt: I use sea salt, but you can use whatever salt you have on hand.
- Oil: I always use avocado oil for cooking, but you can use your favorite cooking oil.
- Whole Chicken: Make sure to remove the giblets from the cavity if they are there before cooking.
- Broth: Use homemade or packaged.
- Butter: I use salted butter for an extra pop of flavor, but you can use unsalted butter if that is what you have.
Step by Step
For the full recipe with measurements, see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
First, start by combining the BBQ seasoning, salt, and oil in a small bowl to make a rub.
Next, rub the oil mixture all over the chicken; under the skin and over the meat.
Place chicken into the air-crisp basket of your Ninja Foodi. Pour some broth into the bottom of the inner pot and place the basket on top.
Set your Ninja Foodi to HIGH pressure and set the time for 15 minutes. After you select pressure, make sure to set the pressure lid to sealing.
When the timer goes off, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, and then release the pressure release valve. Carefully open the lid.
Brush the butter over all of the chicken skin.
Set your Ninja Foodi to Air Crisp at 400° F for 20 minutes. Cook until the chicken is golden brown and internal temperature of the chicken reaches 160° F. (The temperature will continue to rise as the chicken rests.)
Let the chicken rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
Tips & Tricks
- Most Ninja Foodi’s will fit up to a six-pound whole chicken, but make sure you test this before removing your chicken from its packaging. The models have changed through the years.
- Make sure your chicken is completely thawed before cooking. (Or follow the instructions in the FAQ for cooking from frozen.)
- If you have time, season your chicken 12 to 24 hours in advance. Not only does this enhance flavors, but the salt will permeate the fibers of the chicken and yield juicer meat.
- Save the chicken bones and drippings to make bone broth. Not only does this save money, but homemade broth tastes better than packaged.
- For additional flavor, you can place sprigs of fresh herbs underneath the skin of the chicken after you add the seasonings. Parsley and thyme are great options.
This is such a versatile recipes - so many sides work well with a whole chicken made in the Ninja Foodi. Some of my favorites include slow cooker sweet potatoes, Instant Pot spaghetti squash (with your favorite sauce), air fryer mac and cheese, Instant Pot green beans, and buffalo potatoes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I cook a chicken from frozen in the Ninja Foodi?
Yes, you can. I recommend increasing the time under pressure to about 40 minutes and then air frying as directed.
Make sure you use an instant read thermometer before and during the air fryer time to make sure the chicken is cooked through but not overdone. Use the thermometer to guide you and adjust the cooking time as needed.
What temperature do you cook a whole chicken to?
The temperature for a cooked whole chicken should be at least 165°F. Use an instant read thermometer to check the internal temperature.
I recommend cooking a chicken to 160° F and then letting it rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving. While it rest, carry over cooking will take the internal temperature to the recommended 165° F. This yields a juicy, succulent chicken that isn't overdone.
Tools Needed to Make
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Ninja Foodi Pressure Cooker with Crisping Lid
- Instant Read Thermometer
- Silicone Brush (for brushing the chicken with butter)
- Small bowl
Store leftover roasted chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. You can also freeze chicken and warm it up as needed, just make sure you wrap it tight so no air gets inside.
To reheat your Ninja Foodi roast chicken, preheat your oven or air fryer to 350°F and cook for 8-10 minutes, until the chicken is warm throughout.
Alternatively, you can microwave it in 30-second increments until it’s heated through. Enjoy!
More Ninja Foodi Recipes to Try
- Ninja Foodi Chicken Alfredo is a delicious and easy to make meal that the whole family will love. Make it once and it is sure to become a staple in your dinnertime rotation.
- When you are craving comfort food, Ninja Foodi Mashed Potatoes are always a hit.
- Cheesy goodness doesn't get any better than this Ninja Foodi Mac and Cheese.
- Warm up on a cool day with this Ninja Foodi Chicken Noodle Soup.
If you make this whole chicken in the Ninja Foodi, leave me a comment to let me know how it goes.
Ninja Foodi Whole Chicken (Roasted Chicken)
- Ninja Foodi
- 2 ½ tablespoons BBQ seasoning
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 3 to 5 pound whole chicken
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- In a small bowl, combine the BBQ seasoning, salt, and oil.
- Rub the oil mixture all over the chicken, under the skin and over the meat. Place the chicken in the air-crisp basket.
- Pour the broth in the bottom of the inner pot to your Ninja Foodi, and place the basket on top.
- Set your Foodi to HIGH pressure, and set the time for 15 minutes.
- When the time is done, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, and then release. Carefully open the lid.
- Brush the chicken skin with the butter. Set the Ninja Foodi to Air Fry at 400° F for 20 minutes. Cook until the chicken is golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh registers 160° F. Allow the chicken to rest for 10 minutes before carving.