This Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip is good for so many different occasions. It is fabulous for tailgating or football parties but works equally well for a potluck or family gathering. Truth be told, my kids would be thrilled if I were to serve it for dinner on a random Wednesday night. It is spicy, cheesy and oh-so-delicious. This one may have you scraping the edges for that last bite.
If you like buffalo chicken, this healthy buffalo chicken dip is sure to become a favorite.
This dip is packed with protein, super-tasty, and can be made ahead of time so you can enjoy the game without worrying about last-minute preparations.
Now let's be clear, healthy is a relative term here. I think I probably should have titled this "Healthier" Buffalo Chicken Dip because there is just no making a dip like this that rivals a kale smoothie for nutritional value.
But once you get past that, I think you will agree that this recipe delivers on all of the flavors while keeping the calories somewhat in check.
The secret weapons are Greek yogurt and cottage cheese. I have used these in place of cream cheese and sour cream, and I don't notice a difference in flavor and texture versus the "real thing".
This is a good thing. Because I am not exactly known for my restraint when it comes to game day snacking.
This is a dish you can enjoy without guilt, especially if you make sure there are plenty of fresh veggies on hand. My favorite things to serve this with are carrot chips and celery, and of course a few tortilla chips. (Because...YOLO, baby!)
- Neufchâtel Cheese is a soft cheese from the Neufchâtel-en-Bray region of Normandy, similar to cream cheese. It has a little bit saltier and sharper flavor than some of the other soft cheeses.
- Cottage cheese adds texture to help thicken the dip, as well as protein and calcium.
- Greek yogurt adds a nice tang and provides probiotics and additional protein, while also helping to thicken the dip.
- Buffalo hot sauce gives the Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip its trademark flavor, while also providing some heat.
- Blue cheese crumbles add a salty, tangy flavor to the dip, as well as additional protein.
- Scallions give the dip a bit of sweetness and crunch.
- Grated onion adds flavor and texture without being overwhelming.
- Minced garlic adds a bit of spice and additional kick.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper help to season this dip to perfection.
- Grated cheddar cheese adds creaminess and flavor.
Tips and Tricks
- To make buffalo chicken dip with greek yogurt ahead of time, simply prepare the dip through step 2 and store it in the refrigerator until ready to bake. This dip can be made up to 24 hours in advance.
- If you want a bit more heat in your Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip, add an additional tablespoon or two of Buffalo hot sauce.
- For extra crunch, top Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip with chopped celery or carrots before serving.
- You can use dairy-free blue cheese, and dairy-free yogurt if you are avoiding dairy. Just omit the cottage cheese and add an additional 4 ounces of yogurt.
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip is best served warm with crackers, bread, or veggies for dipping.
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip can be stored in a sealed and airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
First, start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F.
Then, in a medium bowl, combine the Neufchâtel Cheese, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, Buffalo hot sauce, blue cheese crumbles, scallions, grated onion, minced garlic, salt and pepper.
Mix until everything is well combined.
Next, spread the Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip into an 8x8 baking dish or a similar sized casserole dish. Then, sprinkle the top with grated cheddar cheese.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip is hot and bubbly. Serve warm with crackers, bread or veggies for dipping. Enjoy!
Can You Make Buffalo Chicken Dip in the Crockpot?
Yes! Simply add the dip to a prepared slow cooker and cook over low for two to three hours.
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- ½ cup Neufchâtel Cheese (4 ounces) softened and cut into chunks (Or Kite Hill Cream Cheese)
- ½ cup cottage cheese 4 ounces
- 1 cup Greek yogurt 8 ounces - dairy or non-dairy
- ⅔ cup Buffalo hot sauce
- 2 cups shredded chicken from Instant Pot Chicken
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese or dairy free blue cheese
- 4 scallions chopped
- ¼ cup grated onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese Or Daiya shreds
- For garnish: Additional chopped scallions
- For Serving: tortilla chips pita chips, carrots, celery
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat together Neufchâtel cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt and hot sauce with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Stir in chicken, blue cheese, scallions, onions, garlic, and seasonings.
- Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate. Top with Cheddar Cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Variations for Low Fat Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Make it Vegan: Use 8 ounces of vegan cream cheese in place of the Neufchâtel Cheese and cottage cheese. I am a big fan of Kite Hill, which is a nut-based cheese. They have a Jalapeno flavor which is super-spicy and would be great in this if you like things really hot. Use non-dairy yogurt, and either tempeh or chicken substitute (like Beyond Meat or Gardein) in place of the chicken. Omit the blue cheese and top with Daiya Shreds.
- Make it Dairy Free: Follow the same instructions for making this recipe vegan, but leave the chicken in.
- Make it Keto: Use 8 ounces full-fat cream cheesen place of the Neufchâtel Cheese and cottage cheese, and sour cream in place of the yogurt. Serve with carrots, celery, and cauliflower.
- You can use mozzarella in place of the cheddar if you wish.
Serving Suggestions for this Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
- Raw Vegetables - carrots, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, red pepper
- Toasted Baguette
- Tortilla Chips
- Pita Chips